SLUM is a registered non-government organisation (NGO) in Bangladesh that works in association with EchoStars Inc, an Australian-based NGO. Click here to view SLUM Constitution
|Registration or charity number||Social Welfare Registration No. Dha-07184Date: 19/10/2002NGO Affair’s Bureau Registration No.2398Date: 07/01/2009|
|Office address||SOCIETY FOR LOWEST URBAN MASS (SLUM)6638 East Vatara, Badda, Gulshan, Dhaka 1212|
|Main contact person||Name: Manik Chitto HalderPosition: ChairmanEmail:firstname.lastname@example.orgTel:( Mobile)01819-259019|
|Year of establishment||2001|
Together SLUM and EchoStars Inc are working to raise the funds to finish the building of Bright Stars School.
SLUM runs the educational program for Bright Stars students, and administers the ‘Sewing for Sustainability Programme‘ at the school. The school currently has 150 children in grades kindergarten to grade 5. These children come from socially and economically disadvantaged backgrounds.
The objective of SLUM and EchoStars is to complete the building of Bright Stars School and to secure ongoing funding and develop programmes to ensure the continued and sustainable future of the school.
How it works
Society for Lowest Urban Mass is a non-governmental and not-for-profit organisation.
- The school started in January 2003 with the support of an education researcher from UK in a single rented room.
- It initially started with Kindergarten and Grade I and later gradually expanded to Grade V.
- It focuses on primary education for socio-economic underprivileged and physically disabled children
- BrightStars school is owned and administered by SLUM
- SLUM hass a working affiliation with EchoStars,(Education, Compassion, Hope and Opportunity for the “Stars”) an Australian NGO working to raise funds, develop programs such as the sewing for sustainability program and the medical centre and to develop a permanent income stream to ensure the school has long term viability.
- Slum is also affiliated with a UK NGO, Sanjeevani, which administers the daycare centre for the development of children with disabilities and prepares these children for the inclusion program into the regular primary school curriculum with all BrightStars Students.